– RPO 10 minutes for Data of mission critial servers (Domino & Finance)
– RTO 1 hour, RPO 1 day of any server on the list
– Archive 1 year of monthly full systems backup
– Have a total of readily accessible 20TB of storage capacity to store backups
– Reduce backup job execution durations to halves
– Save $400 per month variable cost by spending $2360 fixed cost (ROI = 6 months)
– Most important: reliability in media integrity! A bad hard drive in a raid array is detectable, whereas a 1-year life span of a tape is not always observed. When a tape goes bad, it’s often undetected.
Clarification of current issues:
– Cost of Iron mountain storage may be unnecessary as we have AWS, plus three sites for fail-over.
– Alternate site storage satisfies the requirement of off-site storage
– We have to set up monthly test recoveries to ensure that our backups are effective
– There is practically no longer any tape storage advantages of being cheaper at higher capacity. Current generation of commodity hard drives are cost effective and faster performance.
– RPO of 10 minutes is currently achieved only for Domino Servers via scheduled replication. We need to include plans for the Financial server(s).
1. Increase the capacity of the backup disks
a. No change – not recommended as this option does not allow us to meet our objectives
b. Buy a non-raid USB external hard drive – the cost of 18TB hard drive is currently cost prohibitive
c. Buy Raid-5 capable external hard drive enclosure: cost=$2360, capacity will be 18TB x 2 = 36TB Raid 5 Storage Capacity
Enclosure – $180 x 2 (http://www.amazon.com/TerraMaster-Enclosure-F4-300-3-5-inch-External/dp/B005IOP0I0/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1434730934&sr=1-5&keywords=external+hard+drive+raid+5)
Drives – $250 x 8 (http://www.amazon.com/Red-6TB-NAS-Hard-Drive/dp/B00LO3KR96/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1434731841&sr=1-5&keywords=hard+drive&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin%3A8067154011)
2. Implement Cross-site Backup Replication options
a. Use a robust network file copy tool such as Delta Copy, Rsync or SCP
b. Compress the file locally and then copy over the network, store the compressed files at destination
3. Weekly monitoring of backup jobs
a. Make weekly report
b. Make adjustment(s) when necessary
4. Perform monthly test restore
a. Create a test server and add it to the backup schedules; perform test restore of that server
b. Perform test restore of production server test files